Afzal Guru`s mercy plea sent to Home Ministry
New Delhi: Four years after its opinion was sought by the Centre, the file pertaining to the mercy petition of Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru, who is in the death row, has been sent to the Union Home Ministry by the Delhi Government.
The file was sent to the Home Ministry by Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna after the Delhi Government had referred it to him recently for his comments while backing the
sentence with a rider that the implications of law and order situation should be closely examined while carrying out the execution.
"The Lt Governor has sent the file pertaining to Afzal
Guru`s mercy petition to the Union Home Ministry for further
action," top sources told a news agency.
It was after the 16th reminder from the Union Home
Ministry seeking its opinion that the city government sent the
file to LG`s office for him to take a call in the matter.
The Supreme Court had in 2005 upheld the Delhi High
Court verdict confirming the trial court judgement which had
awarded capital punishment to Guru for his role in the
conspiracy behind the December 13, 2001, terror attack on
Afzal`s file was lying in the cold storage for the
last four years with the Delhi Government but it swung into
action only after May 6 when Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab
was handed down death sentence for the Mumbai carnage.
Afzal Guru`s hanging has been a major issue for a
section in the Congress as well BJP which have raised the
matter numerous times in both houses of Parliament and the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves