Afzal`s hanging barbaric, says NHRC member
New Delhi: The hanging of parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was an "abomination" and a "barbaric" violation of human rights, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) member Satyabrata Pal said here on Tuesday.
However, he said these were his personal views and did not represent the commission in any manner.
"Death penalty is an abomination in a democracy and Afzal Guru`s hanging is a barbaric violation of human rights. Not only his but it is also the violation of rights of his family which did not get the right to grieve," Pal told reporters.
Lamenting at the manner in which Guru was executed, he said: "The family had the right to grieve, meet Afzal Guru and conduct last rites."
Afzal Guru, 43, was hanged inside the Tihar Central Jail in the capital and buried near his solitary cell Feb 9. The hanging triggered a debate across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics