Afzal`s hanging barbaric, says NHRC member
New Delhi: The hanging of parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was an "abomination" and a "barbaric" violation of human rights, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) member Satyabrata Pal said here on Tuesday.
However, he said these were his personal views and did not represent the commission in any manner.
"Death penalty is an abomination in a democracy and Afzal Guru`s hanging is a barbaric violation of human rights. Not only his but it is also the violation of rights of his family which did not get the right to grieve," Pal told reporters.
Lamenting at the manner in which Guru was executed, he said: "The family had the right to grieve, meet Afzal Guru and conduct last rites."
Afzal Guru, 43, was hanged inside the Tihar Central Jail in the capital and buried near his solitary cell Feb 9. The hanging triggered a debate across the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Watch: Amateur footage of a boy falling from Mumbai local train
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma