Afzal`s hanging barbaric, says NHRC member
New Delhi: The hanging of parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was an "abomination" and a "barbaric" violation of human rights, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) member Satyabrata Pal said here on Tuesday.
However, he said these were his personal views and did not represent the commission in any manner.
"Death penalty is an abomination in a democracy and Afzal Guru`s hanging is a barbaric violation of human rights. Not only his but it is also the violation of rights of his family which did not get the right to grieve," Pal told reporters.
Lamenting at the manner in which Guru was executed, he said: "The family had the right to grieve, meet Afzal Guru and conduct last rites."
Afzal Guru, 43, was hanged inside the Tihar Central Jail in the capital and buried near his solitary cell Feb 9. The hanging triggered a debate across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India won't tolerate any insult to its Army - Must Read
- Swara Bhaskar turns writer, pens love story
- Venus clouds may reveal underlying secrets
- Bollywood actors vs MPs charity match: Baba Ramdev steals the show - See Pics
- Sensex zooms by over 292 points to recapture 28,000-mark; Nifty above 8,600-level