‘Afzal’s hanging carried out after proper scrutiny`
New Delhi: Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Manish Tewari said on Monday that the execution of Afzal Guru, who was sentenced to death 10 years ago for an attack on the parliament in 2001, was carried out after much deliberation and scrutiny.
President Pranab Mukherjee rejected a mercy petition from Afzal Guru and he was hanged at 8 am in Tihar jail in the capital, New Delhi, on Saturday.
There have been several comments labeling the execution as a political motive on the part of the government.
Reacting to these allegations, Tewari said on Monday that such decisions are taken much deliberation and scrutiny.
He said, “There can never be a one size fits all. There can never be a generic broad brush when you deal with matters, which are so sensitive, and have both the legal, judicial and constitutional implications and obligations. So therefore we would like to submit that in the case of capital punishments there is a need to be circumspect.”
“There is a need to be responsible. And there is a need to understand and realise that there is a very deliberate scrutiny process which is involved and which takes into process and which takes into consideration the facts and circumstances of each case on its own merits.”
Five gunmen stormed the heavily guarded parliament complex in New Delhi on December 13, 2001 carrying grenades, guns and explosives, but security forces killed them before they could enter the lawmakers`` chamber.
Ten other people, mostly security officers, were killed in the exchange of fire.
Guru was convicted of helping organise arms for the gunmen who made the attack and a place for them to stay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report