‘Afzal’s hanging carried out after proper scrutiny`
New Delhi: Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Manish Tewari said on Monday that the execution of Afzal Guru, who was sentenced to death 10 years ago for an attack on the parliament in 2001, was carried out after much deliberation and scrutiny.
President Pranab Mukherjee rejected a mercy petition from Afzal Guru and he was hanged at 8 am in Tihar jail in the capital, New Delhi, on Saturday.
There have been several comments labeling the execution as a political motive on the part of the government.
Reacting to these allegations, Tewari said on Monday that such decisions are taken much deliberation and scrutiny.
He said, “There can never be a one size fits all. There can never be a generic broad brush when you deal with matters, which are so sensitive, and have both the legal, judicial and constitutional implications and obligations. So therefore we would like to submit that in the case of capital punishments there is a need to be circumspect.”
“There is a need to be responsible. And there is a need to understand and realise that there is a very deliberate scrutiny process which is involved and which takes into process and which takes into consideration the facts and circumstances of each case on its own merits.”
Five gunmen stormed the heavily guarded parliament complex in New Delhi on December 13, 2001 carrying grenades, guns and explosives, but security forces killed them before they could enter the lawmakers`` chamber.
Ten other people, mostly security officers, were killed in the exchange of fire.
Guru was convicted of helping organise arms for the gunmen who made the attack and a place for them to stay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi