AG denies that CBI questioned him on 2G scam
New Delhi: Attorney General G E Vahanvati
on Wednesday denied in the Supreme Court that he was questioned by
the CBI about his purported legal opinion to the Department of
Telecom on the issue of grant of 2G spectrum.
However, later he told reporters that the agency had
approached him for some clarification.
Mentioning a news report about CBI questioning him,
before a bench of justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly, the AG
termed it as "baseless".
"I do not know what wrong did I commit in my last life
that media is after me and such reports are being published
that CBI grilled me," Vahanvati said during the hearing of a
petition by Centre for Public Interest Litigation, on whose
plea a CBI probe had been ordered by the apex court into the
2G spectrum allocation scam.
The news report had claimed Vahanvati was questioned
about the legal opinion that he had given to the Department of
Telecommunications (DoT) earlier during his stint as Solicitor
General of India on the issue of grant of the 2G spectrum
Early this month too, Vahanvati, during the hearing of
the issue related to the 2G spectrum allocation scam by the
Supreme Court had denied that he had given any legal opinion
to the DoT on the matter.
Later, he told reporters that CBI approached him only
for some clarification and he was not questioned as reported.
He said that DoT had earlier sent him a press release
and had sought his opinion on it. He had sent back the release
to the DoT after making some notings on it, the AG said.
But the notings on the release had been tinkered with
and the CBI wanted to know about it from me, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Mehbooba Mufti meets families affected by Kashmir violence
- Thousands bid emotional farewell as hockey legend Mohammed Shahid laid to rest
- Kudankulam unit 2 physical start-up process begun: Sources
- Derecognise AAP in wake of its activist's suicide: BJP
- All Party meet for inclusive engagement of all stakeholders in J&K