AG gives opinion on Army Chief`s age row
New Delhi: The Attorney General has given
his opinion on Army Chief General VK Singh`s statutory
complaint to Defence Minister AK Antony amidst indications
that he has not given any relief on the issue of age.
The Statutory Complaint was forwarded to the Law Ministry
for Attorney General`s opinion by the Defence Ministry last
month and was returned earlier this week, sources said here.
The Attorney General has already twice opined against Gen
Singh`s plea to accept May 10, 1951 as his date of birth,which
will give him an extra ten months in office.
In his opinion, the Attorney General is understood to
have not given any relief to Gen Singh.
Based on his two opinions, Defence Ministry had decided
on July 21 that the earlier date of May 10, 1950 will be
considered as Gen Singh?s date of birth.
After the Ministry received the opinions of the
Attorney General on the issue, Singh had levelled allegations
that the Defence Ministry "lacked objectivity" and was
"biased" on his age issue.
Singh is slated to retire on June 1, 2012, but if 1951
is accepted as the year of birth he may remain in office for
another ten months.
Gen Singh had filed the statutory complaint with the
Defence Minister on August 25 seeking a re-examination on the
issue, in a first by an Army Chief.
The General had asked Antony to take a decision on his
date of birth purely on the basis of merit and available
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM