AG gives opinion on Army Chief`s age row
New Delhi: The Attorney General has given
his opinion on Army Chief General VK Singh`s statutory
complaint to Defence Minister AK Antony amidst indications
that he has not given any relief on the issue of age.
The Statutory Complaint was forwarded to the Law Ministry
for Attorney General`s opinion by the Defence Ministry last
month and was returned earlier this week, sources said here.
The Attorney General has already twice opined against Gen
Singh`s plea to accept May 10, 1951 as his date of birth,which
will give him an extra ten months in office.
In his opinion, the Attorney General is understood to
have not given any relief to Gen Singh.
Based on his two opinions, Defence Ministry had decided
on July 21 that the earlier date of May 10, 1950 will be
considered as Gen Singh?s date of birth.
After the Ministry received the opinions of the
Attorney General on the issue, Singh had levelled allegations
that the Defence Ministry "lacked objectivity" and was
"biased" on his age issue.
Singh is slated to retire on June 1, 2012, but if 1951
is accepted as the year of birth he may remain in office for
another ten months.
Gen Singh had filed the statutory complaint with the
Defence Minister on August 25 seeking a re-examination on the
issue, in a first by an Army Chief.
The General had asked Antony to take a decision on his
date of birth purely on the basis of merit and available
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India