AG wants `loopholes` in Lokpal Bill to be plugged
New Delhi: The Attorney General has warned that some provisions in the Lokpal Bill on probing complaints of corruption could be challenged in courts due to loopholes and has suggested changes to avoid such situations.
In his deposition before the Rajya Sabha Select Committee on Lokpal Bill, AG GE Vahanvati said the procedure suggested for an investigating agency to submit its inquiry report to the anti-corruption watchdog for further action could lead to "complications".
Citing example, Vahanvati is learnt to have said that if the CBI and Lokpal differ on closure of a case, the accused can allege discrimination and approach court for legal remedy.
"If CBI reports that the case should be closed, but Lokpal insists on filing a charge sheet, what will happen...," he said.
"In my view, all loopholes should be plugged and a solution be found to avoid possible legal challenge to any provision of the bill," he said.
His opinion is now being used by opposition members in the committee to seek changes in the provision on procedure to handle complaints noting that it was not in accordance with the criminal law.
His opinion comes ahead of the Winter session of Parliament when the panel has to submit its report to the upper house.
The provisions on handling complaints of corruption are part of the bill passed by Lok Sabha last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video