Age row: SC asks AG to draft contempt charges against VK Singh
Zee News Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: Coming down hard on Gen (Retd) VK Singh for questioning the apex court`s decision in his date of birth issue, the Supreme Court on Wednesday allowed Attorney General GE Vahanvati to draft contempt charges against the former Army chief.
“One cannot be allowed to scandalise the court like this and it is not permissible,” the court said.
“We welcome criticism of our judgement but we don`t welcome motive attributed to the court judgement,” it added.
The apex court had on October 1 issued a contempt notice to Singh, saying his remarks against its order on his age row prima facie amounts to “scandalizing” and undermining the authority of the court.
The court had taken suo moto cognizance of a news report quoting him on why the apex court had not decided his age on the basis of matriculation certificate, if such document is relied upon to decide the age of a rape victim.
The court had observed that Singh’s remarks tend to lower the court’s authority and amount to contempt under Article 129 of the Constitution read with Section 2 of the Contempt of Court Act, 1971, the court observed.
Article 129 of the Constitution says: "The Supreme Court shall be a court of record and shall have all the powers of such a court, including the power to punish for contempt of itself", and section 2 of the Contempt of Court Act defines contempt as an attempt to scandalise or lower the authority of the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital