`Agency handling govt litigation shockingly callous`
Senior advocate Bishwajit Bhattacharyya gave a glimpse of what happens behind the scene before a crucial case is assigned to a government lawyer and argued in the court.
"I found in crucial cases some important pages were invariably found missing or that the full brief was not given or that for Friday`s case, briefs were delivered invariably late on Thursday night leaving little or no time to read the briefs," Bhattacharyya said in his book.
Bhattacharyya in his book "My Experience with the Office of ASG of India", alleged that the effort of entire machinery might be only to score some side goals and to give handle to the private litigant and even the Attorney General did not intervene to keep the house in order in the agency.
"Such was the shockingly callous state of affairs. My protests obviously fell into deaf ears. No one bothered whether the government`s interest was jeopardised or not was the least of all concerns of persons who mattered" the book said, adding, "In my perception, there has always been total anarchy in the Central Agency without any accountability. This I witnessed for almost three years."
"I was hoping that the Attorney General would call a meeting of all the Law Officers. I was hoping that in the said meetings I would vent my feelings in the best interest of the government. But not one single meeting was called by the the AG during my tenure. I think it is only in order to escape from being asked uncomfortable questions that such meetings were never held," he further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you