Agitation against FDI in retail "melodramatic": Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday dubbed as "melodramatic" the agitations on the issue of FDI in retail and taunted its critics that the parties which had opposed the Indo-US nuclear deal were defeated in the last Lok Sabha polls.
Party spokesman P C Chacko told reporters that assembly elections in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh would provide it an opportunity to reach out to the people on the FDI issue on which some opposition parties were resorting to "obstructive tactics"
In an apparent reference to Left parties, he said those organisations, which had opposed the Indo-US nuclear deal, had been defeated in the elections.
Noting that the field has been left open for each and every state government to decide which way they want to swing on FDI in retail issue and there was no compulsion, he said "but certainly we feel one cannot play spoilsport and hinder the progress..."
Maintaining that the move and other reform measures were needed to rejuvenate the economy, he said "cynical political outfits presume that entry of mega retailers could result in lower remuneration for farmers and eradication of small retailers. This is totally illogical".
He claimed there was an "absurd crescendo" of protest arising out of the decision, including from "some political parties" which had recently bid goodbye to UPA, an apparent reference to Trinamool Congress and Jharkhand Vikas Morcha.
"Undue skepticism persists in some quarters over the advantages this will achieve", he said adding political parties should refrain from resorting to "melodramatic" bandhs? and dharnas just for the sake of scoring some brownie points".
Citing the example of China, he said Walmart entered that country some two decades ago and has opened over 300 stores till date. "Yet it just has only 5 per cent of the market share in China after twenty years. Local Chinese retail companies are all bigger than Walmart in China".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015