Agnivesh demands judicial probe into Azad`s killing
Lalgarh: Social activist Swami Agnivesh today
demanded a judicial inquiry into the death of Maoist leader
Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad, who was killed by Andhra
Pradesh police in an encounter.
Questioning the circumstances under which Azad was killed
in a police encounter, Agnivesh, an interlocutor between the
Centre and the Maoists, said, "There should be a judicial
inquiry into the killing."
"My demand for a probe into Azad`s killing was rejected
by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram...Subsequently, I spoke
to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who assured me that a probe
will be held. But there has been no order for an inquiry till
today," he said at the `Santras Birodhi Mancha` (anti-terror
platform) rally organised by the Trinamool Congress.
Azad was gunned down by Andhra Pradesh police on July 2
in Vankhidi forest area at Jogapur in Adilabad.
Agnivesh, also demanded a probe into the killings of
People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities leaders Lalmohan
Tudu and Sidhu Soren in West Bengal.
The social activist said he was against violence by the
Maoists and "if they (the Naxals) have killed people claiming
they were police informers, it should also be probed".
"Santras Birodhi Manchas would be formed countrywide and
a round table organised to deliberate on the root causes of
the Maoist problem," he said lauding TC chief Mamata Banerjee
for organising the rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof