Agnivesh plea to quash FIR against him turned down
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High
Court has turned down a plea of social activist Swami Agnivesh
seeking to quash an FIR filed against him for hurting
sentiments of Hindus.
Justice L N Mittal yesterday also held that the utterance
attributed to the social activist in the FIR hurts the
feelings of Hindus.
"Averments made in the FIR regarding utterances
attributed to the petitioner do prima facie make out a case
under Section 295-A, IPC, because such utterances certainly
hurt the religious feelings of Hindus, who undertake the holy
Amarnath yatra," Justice Mittal observed and turned down
Earlier this year, various Hindu organisations had
castigated Agnivesh for his "blasphemous" remarks on the
Amarnath yatra in Kashmir.
A case, under Section 295A of the IPC, was registered
against Agnivesh on May 23 in Hansi sub-division of Haryana
after a complaint was lodged by social activist Praveen Tayal.
Section 295-A deals with deliberate and malicious acts,
intended to outrage religious feelings by insulting religion
or religious beliefs.
On Monday, the Hansi sub-divisional magistrate court had
issued a non-bailable warrant against Agnivesh and directed
that he be produced before it on September 19.
Turning down Agnivesh`s plea, Justice Mittal observed
"averments made in the FIR regarding utterances attributed to
the petitioner do prima facie make out a case under Section
295-A, IPC, because such utterances certainly hurt the
religious feelings of Hindus, who undertake the holy Amarnath
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly