‘Agreement round the corner on Teesta river issue’
Bangalore: An agreement on the long-standing
Teesta river water sharing issue between India and Bangladesh
was `round the corner`, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna
on Tuesday said.
"I think an agreement is round the corner," he told
reporters during the briefing on the 11th Ministers` meeting
of the Indian Ocean RIM Association of Regional Cooperation
Responding to a question, Krishna said he had a discussion
on the issue with Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dipu Moni, here
to attend the meeting of the 19-member regional grouping.
Krishna said India hoped to come to a settlement on the
The two neighbours were scheduled to sign an agreement on
the Teesta issue during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit
to Bangladesh in September, but strong objections by West
Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee over the draft, prompted
India to back off at the last minute.
Banerjee had also pulled out of the Prime Minister`s
entourage, casting a shadow on the historic visit.
During the SAARC summit in Maldives last week, Singh told
his Bangladesh counterpart Sheik Hasina that there was still
some need for consensus in the country on the issue and that
the interest of all concerned, including West Bengal, should
be taken care of.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28