AgustaWestland denies wrongdoing in chopper deal
New Delhi: Amid the ongoing controversy over alleged kickbacks in the Rs 3,600 crore VVIP chopper deal, Anglo-Italian firm AgustaWestland on Tuesday replied to Defence Ministry queries, denying any wrongdoing.
The Ministry earlier this month had asked the firm to provide details about its transactions with Tunisia and India-based firms IDS Infotech and Aeromatrix.
The Defence Ministry today got the response from AgustaWestland about its linkages with the two software firms. AgustaWestland has denied any wrongdoing in its dealings, Defence Ministry sources said.
The company has also attached some documents with the reply for the Ministry`s perusal and denied that it has in any way violated the integrity pact, they said.
Last week the Defence Ministry had granted the firm more time to explain its linkages with the two companies after it made a request for extension of time to file its reply.
Sources also said the detailed reply of the firm is being studied by the Ministry before taking any further action.
Both Aeromatrix and IDS Infotech are based in Chandigarh and are being investigated by the CBI along with former Indian Air Force chief SP Tyagi and three of his cousins for allegedly ensuring that AgustaWestland won the multi-crore deal from India.
A showcause notice was issued by the Defence Ministry to AgustaWestland last month as part of the process to cancel the contract for 12 VVIP choppers.
The Ministry had asked the firm why the deal should not be cancelled in view of corruption charges against it.
The firm had replied to the letter denying any wrongdoing in the deal but Defence Minister A K Antony had rejected the response of the firm.
The Defence Minister has ordered a CBI probe into the allegations of kickbacks to the tune of Rs 362 crore after the arrest of CEO of Finmeccanica Giuseppe Orsi and AgustaWestland CEO Bruno Spagnolini by Italian investigators in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015