AgustaWestland seeks more time to give its response
New Delhi: Italian firm AgustaWestland has got extension of deadline by seven days from Defence Ministry to explain its links with the software companies that were allegedly used to pay kickbacks in the Rs 3,600 crore VVIP helicopter deal.
The Ministry had asked the firm last week to provide details about its transactions with Tunisia and India-based firms IDS Infotech and Aeromatrix.
The Italian firm had sought a week`s extension to explain its linkages with the two firms and teh request has been granted by the Defence Ministry. AgustaWestland has been asked to furnish their clear replies within this stipulated time-period, highly-placed sources told PTI here.
Both Aeromatrix and IDS Infotech are based in Chandigarh and are being investigated by the CBI along with former air chief SP Tyagi and three of his cousins for allegedly ensuring that AgustaWestland won the Rs. 3,600-crore deal from India.
A show cause notice was issued by the Defence Ministry to AgustaWestland last month as part of the process to cancel the contract for 12 VVIP choppers.
The Ministry had asked the firm why the deal should not be cancelled in view of corruption charges against it.
The firm had replied to the letter denying any wrongdoing in the deal but Defence Minister A K Antony rejected the response of the firm.
The Defence Minister has ordered a CBI probe into the allegations of kickbacks to the tune of Rs 362 crore after the arrest of CEO of Finmeccanica Giuseppe Orsi and AgustaWestland CEO Bruno Spagnolini by Italian investigators in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre