Ahead of Kerry`s visit, Sherman will travel to India
Washington: A top American diplomat would be travelling to India this week ahead of the next month`s New Delhi trip of Secretary of State John Kerry for the India-US Strategic Dialogue, an official statement has said.
In New Delhi on May 24-25, Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman will meet External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and other Indian officials to discuss a full range of bilateral and regional issues and preparations for the June Strategic Dialogue, the State Department said.
Sherman will travel to Hyderabad on May 25 to engage with private sector leaders on furthering US-India economic cooperation and innovation, the State Department said.
She would arrive in New Delhi from Indonesia where she would participate in the US-Indonesia Global Policy Dialogue, and will meet with senior Indonesian government officials to discuss bilateral, regional, and global issues.
The Global Policy Dialogue is a key component of the US-Indonesia Comprehensive Partnership launched by Presidents Barack Obama and Yudhoyono in 2010, and is a long-term commitment to elevate bilateral relations by intensifying cooperation.
From India, Sherman will then travel to Dhaka from May 26-28, where she will lead the US delegation to the Second US-Bangladesh Partnership Dialogue and plans to meet Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, Foreign Minister Dipu Moni, and leader of the opposition Khaleda Zia.
The Partnership Dialogue is the premier forum for further expanding and deepening bilateral cooperation on a wide range of bilateral and regional issues, including development, civil society and governance; trade and investment; security and countering violent extremism; science and technology; women`s empowerment and gender equality.
Sherman will also lead a roundtable with labor, industry, and government officials to discuss standards in the garment sector in the aftermath of the Rana Plaza tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city