Ahmed Patel, Smriti Irani elected to RS unopposed
Gandhinagar: Congress leader Ahmed Patel
was Friday declared elected unopposed for the fourth time to the Rajya Sabha while BJP`s actor-turned politician Smriti Irani also made it to the upper house of Parliament for the first time, without any contest.
BJP`s another candidate Dilip Pandya was also declared
elected unopposed to the third seat for the upper house from
The three leaders were elected unopposed as no other
candidate had filled the form to challenge them for the three
Rajya Sabha seats, Secretary to Gujarat Legislative Assembly D
M Patel, who was also the Returning Officer for the elections,
Patel, political secretary to Congress President Sonia
Gandhi, had filed his nomination papers on July 11.
The BJP had fielded Irani, who shot to fame for her role
in television serial `Saas Bhi Kabhi Bhau Thi`, and senior leader Pandya to represent the party and they had also filed their nomination forms on July 11.
The returning officer had received only three forms
for the seats.
Assistant Returning Officer for the elections, Mahendra
Parmar, today declared the three elected unopposed after the
time for withdrawal of forms was over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY