Ahmed Patel, Smriti Irani elected to RS unopposed
Gandhinagar: Congress leader Ahmed Patel
was Friday declared elected unopposed for the fourth time to the Rajya Sabha while BJP`s actor-turned politician Smriti Irani also made it to the upper house of Parliament for the first time, without any contest.
BJP`s another candidate Dilip Pandya was also declared
elected unopposed to the third seat for the upper house from
The three leaders were elected unopposed as no other
candidate had filled the form to challenge them for the three
Rajya Sabha seats, Secretary to Gujarat Legislative Assembly D
M Patel, who was also the Returning Officer for the elections,
Patel, political secretary to Congress President Sonia
Gandhi, had filed his nomination papers on July 11.
The BJP had fielded Irani, who shot to fame for her role
in television serial `Saas Bhi Kabhi Bhau Thi`, and senior leader Pandya to represent the party and they had also filed their nomination forms on July 11.
The returning officer had received only three forms
for the seats.
Assistant Returning Officer for the elections, Mahendra
Parmar, today declared the three elected unopposed after the
time for withdrawal of forms was over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional