Ahmed Patel, Yechury take oath in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi`s
political secretary Ahmed Patel, CPI-M Polit Bureau member
Sitaram Yechury and six other newly elected members took oath
in the Rajya Sabha on Friday.
Patel, re-elected unopposed from Gujarat, took oath in
Hindi, while Yechury, re-elected from West Bengal, did so in
TV artiste Smriti Irani and Dileep Pandey (both BJP) took
oath in Gujarati. They have been elected from Gujarat.
From West Bengal, Trinamool Congress leaders Debabrata
Bandhopadhyay, noted quiz-master Derek O` Brien, Sukhendu
Shekhar Roy and Srinjoy Bose, and Congress leader Pradip
Bhattacharya took oath in Bengali.
Welcoming them, Chairman M Hamid Ansari hoped "they will
contribute significantly to the Parliamentary proceedings and
enhance the prestige of the House."
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was present when the members
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof