AHRC appeals PM to stop execution of Veerappan`s associates
Guwahati: Asian Centre for Human Rights on Monday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to abolish capital punishment and stop execution of four associates of sandalwood smuggler Veerappan who are on death row in 2004 landmine blast at Palar in Karnataka in which 22 policemen were killed.
"If the government continues with the current spree of execution of those whose mercy pleas are rejected or those who could not file mercy pleas, India will become one of the top five executioners of the world along with China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Iraq," Delhi-based AHRC Director Suhas Chakma said in a release here.
Death penalty as a deterrent against crime has been found to be invalid and at present about 140 out of 193 Members States of the United Nations have abolished the death penalty in law and practice, he said.
Even in countries were death penalty is practised, governments are either abolishing it or reducing the number of offences for which death penalty could be imposed, he said.
By 2011, Illinois became the 16th State of the United States to abolish death penalty, while China removed the death penalty in 13 crimes, while adding at least two new capital crimes, during the same year, but India is regrettably moving backwards, Chakma added.
Atleast 5,776 cases of death row convicts were considered during 2001 to 2011 with the death sentence of 4,321 convicts commuted to life sentences while 1,455 sentences were confirmed by courts, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown