AI clears proposal to induct on lease 8 Boeing
Mumbai: Air India on Friday approved a
proposal to induct on lease eight Boeing aircraft to augment
the fleet strength of its wholly-owned subsidiary Air India
The decision was taken at a meeting of the Air India
Board here this evening.
Of the eight Boeing B 737-800 planes, four would be
taken on long-term dry lease and the remaining would be
wet-leased for six months, airline sources said.
The sources said wet-leasing was being done to meet
the shortage of pilots and cabin crew the no-frill carrier was
The four B-737s were being wet leased "in order to
augment capacity to meet the surging demand and also the
demands from MPs of Punjab and Kerala to restore the original
(flight) schedule," the order signed by AI CMD Arvind Jadhav
Wet lease is an arrangement in which the lessor
provides an aircraft along with the cockpit and cabin crew and
pays for its maintenance and insurance. The company which wet
leases the plane pays by the hours it is operated. In dry
lease, only the aircraft is leased out.
However, the wet-lease move had baffled some officials
who maintained that wet leasing was always costlier than dry
lease and there was no shortage of pilots in Air India
In November, the airline had floated tenders to
dry-lease four Boeing 737-800 for upto five years.
Air India Express operates mainly across the Gulf and
Southeast Asia and currently has a 21-aircraft fleet in which
17 are owned and four are on lease.
Air India has also planned to take 10 Airbus A-330
planes on dry-lease to expand its network. These planes were
intended to be leased for five years with the option of
extending the lease period by another two years. The
deliveries of these aircraft were preferred from second
quarter of this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video