AI, Jet, Kingfisher cancel flights to Europe
New Delhi: Air India, Jet Airways and
Kingfisher Airlines on Monday cancelled their flights to the UK
and other parts of Europe in the wake of huge clouds of
volcanic ash emanating from Iceland.
Air India and Jet would, however, operate their flights
to the US and Canada by taking a diversion, sources in the
An Air India spokesman said the airline will operate
its flights from Delhi to New York and New York to Delhi and
also Mumbai-New York and New York-Mumbai flights with a
diversion through a polar route. A polar route refers to an
aircraft route across the uninhabited polar ice cap region.
Jet Airways has also started its Delhi-Toronto and
Mumbai-New York flights with a technical stop over at
Athens in Greece.
Some airlines have started talks with various foreign
missions in India to take care of the stranded passengers from
Maintaining that they had already provided full
accommodation and other facilities to hundreds of passengers
for past 2-3 days, they also said they were finding it
difficult to continue this facility any longer.
Airline sources also said the carriers could not be held
liable for disruption of flight operations under to such
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'