AIADMK, CPI(M) nominees file papers for RS polls
Chennai: Four AIADMK nominees and CPI(M)`s T K Rangarajan on Monday filed their nomination papers for the February 7 Rajya Sabha elections.
AIADMK`s L Sasikala Pushpa, Vijila Sathyanand, A K Selvaraj and S Muthukaruppan besides Rangarajan filed their nomination papers in the presence of AIADMK supremo and Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa at the state secretariat here.
Biennial elections are being held for six Rajya Sabha seats in the state, as the terms of six members-- A A Jinnah and Vasanthi Stanley (both DMK), G K Vasan and Jayanthi Natarajan (both Congress), N Balaganga (AIADMK) and that of Rangarajan end by April 2.
Rangarajan has been renominated for a successive term by the party while DMK`s Tiruchi N Siva has already filed his papers.
As per the strength in the state Assembly, Trinamool with 186 seats, would be able to send three members to the Rajya Sabha. It has the support of six other MLAs. The Left Front with about 61 seats will be able to secure one.
A candidate requires 49 first-preference votes to win a seat in the Rajya Sabha, which has 294 Assembly seats.
"The Left front has nominated me. I will work for the poor and oppressed," CPI(M) nominee Ritabrata Banerjee said.
Banerjee, a student leader, known for his oratory skills, had kicked off a controversy when he, along with other SFI leaders were accused of heckling West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and state finance minister Amit Mitra in New Delhi last year while protesting against the death of student leader Sudipto Gupta in Kolkata.
Banerjee`s nomination has also sparked-off a debate within the CPI(M) and the Left Front with many LF partners, including senior CPI(M) leader Abdur Rezak Mollah opposing it and terming the decision as a "wrong".
Asked to react on the dissidence within the party and LF on his nomination, Banerjee said, "I am a Left Front nominee. I don`t want to say anything other than that and I am not aware of any such thing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt