AIADMK for urgent steps for release of Indian fishermen
New Delhi: AIADMK on Monday demanded urgent steps by the government to get the release of Indian fishermen from Iran and Sri Lanka.
Raising the issue in Lok Sabha during Zero Hour, AIADMK leader M Thambidurai asked the government to take steps to secure the release and repatriation of 16 Tamil Nadu fishermen languishing in a jail in Iran.
He said his party chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his immediate intervention as these fishermen were residents of Kanyakumari, Ramanathapuram and Nagapattinam districts.
Thambidurai also said that Sri Lankan navy had last month entered into Indian territorial waters and arrested 26 fishermen and sought steps to secure their release too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday