AIADMK for urgent steps for release of Indian fishermen
New Delhi: AIADMK on Monday demanded urgent steps by the government to get the release of Indian fishermen from Iran and Sri Lanka.
Raising the issue in Lok Sabha during Zero Hour, AIADMK leader M Thambidurai asked the government to take steps to secure the release and repatriation of 16 Tamil Nadu fishermen languishing in a jail in Iran.
He said his party chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his immediate intervention as these fishermen were residents of Kanyakumari, Ramanathapuram and Nagapattinam districts.
Thambidurai also said that Sri Lankan navy had last month entered into Indian territorial waters and arrested 26 fishermen and sought steps to secure their release too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?