AIADMK for urgent steps for release of Indian fishermen
New Delhi: AIADMK on Monday demanded urgent steps by the government to get the release of Indian fishermen from Iran and Sri Lanka.
Raising the issue in Lok Sabha during Zero Hour, AIADMK leader M Thambidurai asked the government to take steps to secure the release and repatriation of 16 Tamil Nadu fishermen languishing in a jail in Iran.
He said his party chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his immediate intervention as these fishermen were residents of Kanyakumari, Ramanathapuram and Nagapattinam districts.
Thambidurai also said that Sri Lankan navy had last month entered into Indian territorial waters and arrested 26 fishermen and sought steps to secure their release too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof