AIADMK for urgent steps for release of Indian fishermen
New Delhi: AIADMK on Monday demanded urgent steps by the government to get the release of Indian fishermen from Iran and Sri Lanka.
Raising the issue in Lok Sabha during Zero Hour, AIADMK leader M Thambidurai asked the government to take steps to secure the release and repatriation of 16 Tamil Nadu fishermen languishing in a jail in Iran.
He said his party chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his immediate intervention as these fishermen were residents of Kanyakumari, Ramanathapuram and Nagapattinam districts.
Thambidurai also said that Sri Lankan navy had last month entered into Indian territorial waters and arrested 26 fishermen and sought steps to secure their release too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list