AIADMK for urgent steps for release of Indian fishermen
New Delhi: AIADMK on Monday demanded urgent steps by the government to get the release of Indian fishermen from Iran and Sri Lanka.
Raising the issue in Lok Sabha during Zero Hour, AIADMK leader M Thambidurai asked the government to take steps to secure the release and repatriation of 16 Tamil Nadu fishermen languishing in a jail in Iran.
He said his party chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his immediate intervention as these fishermen were residents of Kanyakumari, Ramanathapuram and Nagapattinam districts.
Thambidurai also said that Sri Lankan navy had last month entered into Indian territorial waters and arrested 26 fishermen and sought steps to secure their release too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?