AIADMK MP Thambidurai set to be elected unopposed as LS Deputy Speaker
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) MP M Thambidurai on Tuesday filed nomination for the post of Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha.
Thambidurai of AIADMK is set to be elected unopposed as Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha after all major parties, including Congress, extended support to his candidature.
Thambidurai`s first nomination paper was proposed by Home Minister Rajnath Singh and seconded by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
Later, Congress also lent its support and its leader in Lok Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge proposed a set of nomination papers in his support and Jyotiraditya Scindia supported it.
Official sources said at least eight more set of nominations papers are being filed in his support by NDA allies like TDP, Shiv Sena, LJP as well as non-NDA parties like BJD, TRS, YSR Congress, TMC and SP.
Earlier reports had said Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu was in touch with Opposition leaders, including Congress` Mallikarjun Kharge, to make Thambidurai`s election unanimous.
Election for the post of Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker will take place on Wednesday.
The NDA`s move to give the post to AIADMK is seen as a gesture towards Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha and also a bid to split the opposition ranks.
Thambidurai is the leader of AIADMK in the House. He was Deputy Speaker from 1985 to 1989.
Earlier today, AIADMK MPs, including Thambidurai, met Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu in the latter`s chamber and he emerged as the ruling party`s choice for the post.
AIADMK with 37 MPs is the third largest party in Lok Sabha after BJP and Congress, which have 279 and 44 members respectively.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi