AICC expels former Odisha MP from party
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday expelled former MP Soumya Ranjan Patnaik, son-in-law of former Odisha Chief Minister JB Patnaik, sending out a tough message to party leaders in the faction-ridden state unit ahead of Assembly and Lok Sabha polls.
Soumya Ranjan has been expelled from the primary membership of the party for six years, AICC general secretary BK Hariprasad announced.
He said the former MP was penalised for being engaged in "gross indiscipline" and organising parallel meetings ignoring the PCC.
The expelled leader is also the younger brother of former PCC chief Niranjan Patnaik, who was replaced some months back by Jayadev Jena. JB Patnaik is currently the Assam Governor.
Soumya Ranjan was earlier issued a notice regarding his activities by the PCC disciplinary committee, which had subsequently recommended action against him.
But even as PCC was awaiting AICC`s response on its report, Patnaik resumed his Sankalp Samabesh in the Assembly constituency of Khandapada in Nayagarh district after having maintained a low-profile for some time following the disciplinary notice.
He joined the Nayagarh rally saying he had been invited by local party workers.
The action, which can be called a major one, has come amid party Vice-President Rahul Gandhi`s emphasis on party workers maintaining discipline in their rank and file to put up a united face ahead of elections.
In his last few meetings with state leaders, Gandhi did some plainspeaking, making it clear that he will not tolerate indiscipline and factionalism within the party.
"The disciplinary committee of the PCC had recommended expulsion. We concurred with that," Hariprasad said.
Congress has been out of power in Odisha for the last 13 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now