AICC to meet in Delhi before Diwali
New Delhi: Delhi will host the AICC meeting to be held before Diwali.
Party sources said that with time running short for the organisation of the meeting, the leadership has decided to hold it in the national capital.
This will be the first major party meet after Sonia Gandhi`s recent re-election as the Congress chief for the fourth term.
Congress Working Committee had yesterday decided to hold the AICC meeting before Diwali on October 6 and a Plenary session before December 20 this year.
The plenary could take place in Mumbai with Maharashtra Congress expressing readiness to host the mega event marking the completion of 125 years of the organisation.
The metropolis had hosted the centenary celebrations of the party in 1985.
Unlike in the past, the election for the CWC is likely to be held during the AICC meeting this time, instead of the Plenary.
A contest was witnessed for the CWC in 1997 plenary at Kolkata when late Sitram Kesri was the party chief. Gandhi took over as the Congress chief in April 1998.
The CWC had decided that the party chief should constitute a small group of party leaders to go into the party Constitution for giving suggestions for possible changes in keeping with the times.
According to party sources, the amendments being mulled by the party could include raising the tenure of Congress president from three years to five years.
At the CWC meeting, Finance minister Pranab Mukherjee underlined the need for changes in the party Constitution to respond to the changed times. P
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'