AICTE ended ‘inspector raj’ era: Kapil Sibal
New Delhi: All India Council of Technical
Education (AICTE), which has often been in news for wrong
reasons, on Thursday got full marks from HRD Minister Kapil Sibal,
who said the body has undergone transformation and is
functioning as per norms.
"The AICTE has brought transformation from inspector raj
to a regime of self-disclosure. I was getting complaints
against AICTE earlier. But now I can tell with confidence that
there is no complaint against AICTE in the last two months,"
Sibal told reporters after laying the foundation of AICTE
AICTE, the apex body to standardise technical education,
has been facing changes of irregularities. Its chairman Prof R
A Yadav has been suspended on charges of irregularities while
the former Member Secretary is facing a CBI case.
"There was real disorder in AICTE," Sibal said.
The council has changed its system of granting approval to
engineering and MBA colleges. It has changed the accreditation
"Wherever I am going, people are appreciating the works of
AICTE. They are saying AICTE is functioning well. That means
change has come to AICTE and it has impacted the system and
work is being done as per norms," Sibal said.
The government has decide to set up National Commission
for Higher Education and Research (NCHER) as an overarching
body in higher education which would replace the AICTE, UGC
Asked whether the new building would be taken over by the
proposed NCHER, Sibal replied in negative.
"It does not mean that all buildings will go to NCHER.
That will be a policy making body. This organisation will
continue to perform its own function. AICTE`s function will
remain but its name may be changed," he said.
The new building, to be constructed in two years by DRDO,
will have an auditorium with a sitting capacity of 1,000.
Sibal also praised UGC Chairman Prof Sukhadeo Thorat and
said the UGC would deliver well under his leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened