Aide of Hurriyat’s Geelani arrested in Hawala case
Srinagar: A close associate of hardline
Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani was
arrested in connection with an alleged Hawala racket and Rs 21
lakh seized from him, police said on Sunday.
"Ghulam Mohammad Bhat, who has been a financier of
disruptive activities, has been arrested," Inspector General
of Police, Kashmir, SM Sahai said.
He said Rs 21 lakh were recovered from Bhat`s possession
at the time of his arrest from his Hyderpora residence
yesterday. Bhat was injured in a scuffle between police and
his family who tried to resist his arrest and is presently
admitted at SKIMS Hospital in Soura.
Official sources said a team from Delhi Police has
arrived here to take custody of Bhat, who claims to be an
advocate and was arrested in a similar case three years ago.
Bhat was arrested in 2008 in Udhampur district while
returning to the Valley with Rs 55 lakh in alleged Hawala
money concealed in a gas cylinder.
A team of doctors is assessing Bhat`s condition and are
expected to give their opinion about the feasibility of
shifting him to Delhi, sources said.
Two other persons -- one hailing from Kupwara and another
from Sopore in North Kashmir -- have also been arrested in
connection with the case, the sources said adding, more arrests are expected over the next couple of days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'