AIIMS bill moved in RS amid uproar
New Delhi: A bill to help the Centre set up AIIMS-like premier medical institutes across the country by a notification was moved in the Rajya Sabha Monday.
The Bill, already passed by the Lok Sabha on August 30, was moved for consideration and passage by Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare S Gandhiselvan.
The All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012, could not be taken up as Deputy Chairman adjourned the House following uproar by BJP over the coal block allocation issue.
The measure will replace an ordinance which allowed the six AIIMS-like institutes to get operational from September.
The bill will confer powers upon the Centre to establish AIIMS-like institutions by notification in the official gazette.
Government aims to set up six AIIMS-like medical institutes in Patna, Bhopal, Raipur, Bhubaneshwar, Jodhpur and Rishikesh in a bid to correct the imbalance in availability of affordable healthcare in various parts of the country.
The institutes are to be made operational by September 15, the government has already announced.
"The six states in which the institutes were established had requested the central government to make them operational urgently and to commence the academic session in September, 2012," the Bill`s Statement of Objects and Reasons stated.
The Bill will also help the Centre change the status of the six new AIIMS registered under the Societies Registration Act to be an autonomous body corporate on the lines of the existing AIIMS in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- 7th Pay Commission: Delhi govt notifies hike in salaries, pensions for over 1 lakh employees
- Olympics 2016: Andy Murray dominates in Rio Games, outsider Monica Puig arrives on big stage
- SALUTE! What a mom she is! This lady catches her son teasing girl - WATCH what happened next
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's 'workout tips' will give you major 'Baar Baar Dekho' feels! Pic inside
- PM inaugurates Stor Palace, says Indians will always be with Afghanistan