AIKS condemns Gujarat govt`s decision to evict Sikh farmers
New Delhi: The All India Kisan Sabha (AIKS) on Thursday condemned the Narendra Modi government`s decision to evict 5,000 Sikh farmers from Bhuj district in Kutch and alleged that it showcases the "anti-farmer and pro-corporate stance" of the Chief Minister.
"The All India Kisan Sabha condemns this anti-farmer stance. We stand in solidarity with the affected farmers and this conspiracy will be defeated through intense struggles," AIKS general secretary Hannan Mollah said.
"The BJP Government is now conspiring to force the farmers out of their agricultural land and hand it over to real estate companies and corporate houses.
"Over five lakh acres of land has already been handed over to corporate houses. Gujarat government has resorted to the crude campaign against Sikh farmers and divide the society which has been living in harmony for the last five decades," he alleged.
Many Sikh farmers settled in Kutch region had approached the Gujarat High Court against the state government`s decision to "freeze" land holdings of hundreds of farmers by invoking the Bombay Tenancy and Agricultural Lands Act, 1958.
In June last year, the Gujarat High Court gave a judgment favouring these farmers and held the Gujarat government`s order "illegal", against which the Gujarat government moved the Supreme Court and a Special Leave Petition is pending.
Over 5,000 Sikh families are cultivating about one lakh acre of land. They possess ration and voter`s cards and speak Gujarati language and assimilated themselves into the local society, said Mollah.
A group of Sikh farmers from Kutch has been camping in Delhi for the last one month.
The next date of hearing in the case in the Supreme Court has been fixed for September 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked