Aim to enrol 600 mn in UIDAI ph-I: Nilekani
New Delhi: With the first phase of UIDAI
aiming to enrol 600 million residents of the country into its
database in next four years and its possible use in improving
the Public Distribution System, the Authority Chairman Nandan
Nilekani today said the journey will be "long" and "tough".
Nilekani expressed satisfaction over the pace of the
project and said the Unique Identification Authority of India
(UIDAI) was on "the right track".
The Authority which has been set up to provide a unique
12 digit number to each resident of the country aims to roll
out the first number between August 2010 to February 2011.
"It is a very complex project and what we are going to do
now (issuance of first Aadhaar number) is only a start. We
have promised that we will have 600 million enroled in the
next four and half years. It is going to be a long tough
journey, the former chief of IT giant Infosys said on the
sidelines of a function here.
Talking about the recently introduced working paper on
role of the 12 digit unique number `Aadhaar` in revamping
Public Distribution System, Nilekani said, "PDS reform is a
very important priority for the government and we think that
if we able to give every resident a `Aadhaar` number, that
will help in reducing duplicates and fraud in the database of
"That is one part. The other part is that if you can
bring in online authentication at the point of service
delivery then you can make it a demand led system. As in when
people get ration, it is reduced from the inventory of the PDS
which can be then replenished from the supply chain. So
basically it becomes a demand-led model. It also gives the
person the choice to go to any PDS shop," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information