Aim to enrol 600 mn in UIDAI ph-I: Nilekani
New Delhi: With the first phase of UIDAI
aiming to enrol 600 million residents of the country into its
database in next four years and its possible use in improving
the Public Distribution System, the Authority Chairman Nandan
Nilekani today said the journey will be "long" and "tough".
Nilekani expressed satisfaction over the pace of the
project and said the Unique Identification Authority of India
(UIDAI) was on "the right track".
The Authority which has been set up to provide a unique
12 digit number to each resident of the country aims to roll
out the first number between August 2010 to February 2011.
"It is a very complex project and what we are going to do
now (issuance of first Aadhaar number) is only a start. We
have promised that we will have 600 million enroled in the
next four and half years. It is going to be a long tough
journey, the former chief of IT giant Infosys said on the
sidelines of a function here.
Talking about the recently introduced working paper on
role of the 12 digit unique number `Aadhaar` in revamping
Public Distribution System, Nilekani said, "PDS reform is a
very important priority for the government and we think that
if we able to give every resident a `Aadhaar` number, that
will help in reducing duplicates and fraud in the database of
"That is one part. The other part is that if you can
bring in online authentication at the point of service
delivery then you can make it a demand led system. As in when
people get ration, it is reduced from the inventory of the PDS
which can be then replenished from the supply chain. So
basically it becomes a demand-led model. It also gives the
person the choice to go to any PDS shop," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced