Air crashes in India – Chronology
New Delhi: Today`s air crash in Mangalore is
the third worst air disaster in the country in the past 48
The worst tragedy was in Charki Dadri in Haryana on
November 12, 1996 when 349 passengers were killed in a mid-air
collision. On January one 1978, 213 people were killed when an
Air India flight to Dubai crashed off Mumbai coast.
A total of 329 people lost their lives when Air India
flight `Kanishka` from Montreal to Delhi was blown up by
terrorists in mid-air on June 23, 1985, but that incident took
place near the Irish coast.
Following is the chronology of accidents involving
aircraft in the country:
Jul 7, 1962: Alitalia flight from Sydney crashes into a hill near Mumbai, 94 killed
Jan 1, 1978: Air India flight crashes into Arabian Sea; 213 killed
Jun 21, 1982: Air India flight crashes at Mumbai airport, 17 of 111 passengers killed
Oct 19, 1988: Air India flight crashes at Ahmedabad, 124 out of 129 passengers killed
Feb 14, 1990: Air India flight crashes at Bangalore, 92 out of 146 passengers killed
Aug 16, 1991: Air India flight crashes at Imphal, 69 killed
Apr 26, 1993: Air India flight crashes at Aurangabad airport, 55 of 118 passengers killed
Nov 12, 1996: Planes of Saudi Arabian Airlines and Kazakhastan Airlines collide in mid-air near Charki Dadri in Haryana, 349 people killed
Jul 17, 2000: Alliance Air flight crashes at Patna airport, 60 passengers killed
Sep 4, 2009: One of the engines of Air India flight catches fire at Mumbai airport, 21 injured
May 22, 2010: Air India plane crashes in Mangalore, 158 killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!