Air crashes in India – Chronology
New Delhi: Today`s air crash in Mangalore is
the third worst air disaster in the country in the past 48
The worst tragedy was in Charki Dadri in Haryana on
November 12, 1996 when 349 passengers were killed in a mid-air
collision. On January one 1978, 213 people were killed when an
Air India flight to Dubai crashed off Mumbai coast.
A total of 329 people lost their lives when Air India
flight `Kanishka` from Montreal to Delhi was blown up by
terrorists in mid-air on June 23, 1985, but that incident took
place near the Irish coast.
Following is the chronology of accidents involving
aircraft in the country:
Jul 7, 1962: Alitalia flight from Sydney crashes into a hill near Mumbai, 94 killed
Jan 1, 1978: Air India flight crashes into Arabian Sea; 213 killed
Jun 21, 1982: Air India flight crashes at Mumbai airport, 17 of 111 passengers killed
Oct 19, 1988: Air India flight crashes at Ahmedabad, 124 out of 129 passengers killed
Feb 14, 1990: Air India flight crashes at Bangalore, 92 out of 146 passengers killed
Aug 16, 1991: Air India flight crashes at Imphal, 69 killed
Apr 26, 1993: Air India flight crashes at Aurangabad airport, 55 of 118 passengers killed
Nov 12, 1996: Planes of Saudi Arabian Airlines and Kazakhastan Airlines collide in mid-air near Charki Dadri in Haryana, 349 people killed
Jul 17, 2000: Alliance Air flight crashes at Patna airport, 60 passengers killed
Sep 4, 2009: One of the engines of Air India flight catches fire at Mumbai airport, 21 injured
May 22, 2010: Air India plane crashes in Mangalore, 158 killed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed