Air crashes in India – Chronology
New Delhi: Today`s air crash in Mangalore is
the third worst air disaster in the country in the past 48
The worst tragedy was in Charki Dadri in Haryana on
November 12, 1996 when 349 passengers were killed in a mid-air
collision. On January one 1978, 213 people were killed when an
Air India flight to Dubai crashed off Mumbai coast.
A total of 329 people lost their lives when Air India
flight `Kanishka` from Montreal to Delhi was blown up by
terrorists in mid-air on June 23, 1985, but that incident took
place near the Irish coast.
Following is the chronology of accidents involving
aircraft in the country:
Jul 7, 1962: Alitalia flight from Sydney crashes into a hill near Mumbai, 94 killed
Jan 1, 1978: Air India flight crashes into Arabian Sea; 213 killed
Jun 21, 1982: Air India flight crashes at Mumbai airport, 17 of 111 passengers killed
Oct 19, 1988: Air India flight crashes at Ahmedabad, 124 out of 129 passengers killed
Feb 14, 1990: Air India flight crashes at Bangalore, 92 out of 146 passengers killed
Aug 16, 1991: Air India flight crashes at Imphal, 69 killed
Apr 26, 1993: Air India flight crashes at Aurangabad airport, 55 of 118 passengers killed
Nov 12, 1996: Planes of Saudi Arabian Airlines and Kazakhastan Airlines collide in mid-air near Charki Dadri in Haryana, 349 people killed
Jul 17, 2000: Alliance Air flight crashes at Patna airport, 60 passengers killed
Sep 4, 2009: One of the engines of Air India flight catches fire at Mumbai airport, 21 injured
May 22, 2010: Air India plane crashes in Mangalore, 158 killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan