Air crashes in India – Chronology
New Delhi: Today`s air crash in Mangalore is
the third worst air disaster in the country in the past 48
The worst tragedy was in Charki Dadri in Haryana on
November 12, 1996 when 349 passengers were killed in a mid-air
collision. On January one 1978, 213 people were killed when an
Air India flight to Dubai crashed off Mumbai coast.
A total of 329 people lost their lives when Air India
flight `Kanishka` from Montreal to Delhi was blown up by
terrorists in mid-air on June 23, 1985, but that incident took
place near the Irish coast.
Following is the chronology of accidents involving
aircraft in the country:
Jul 7, 1962: Alitalia flight from Sydney crashes into a hill near Mumbai, 94 killed
Jan 1, 1978: Air India flight crashes into Arabian Sea; 213 killed
Jun 21, 1982: Air India flight crashes at Mumbai airport, 17 of 111 passengers killed
Oct 19, 1988: Air India flight crashes at Ahmedabad, 124 out of 129 passengers killed
Feb 14, 1990: Air India flight crashes at Bangalore, 92 out of 146 passengers killed
Aug 16, 1991: Air India flight crashes at Imphal, 69 killed
Apr 26, 1993: Air India flight crashes at Aurangabad airport, 55 of 118 passengers killed
Nov 12, 1996: Planes of Saudi Arabian Airlines and Kazakhastan Airlines collide in mid-air near Charki Dadri in Haryana, 349 people killed
Jul 17, 2000: Alliance Air flight crashes at Patna airport, 60 passengers killed
Sep 4, 2009: One of the engines of Air India flight catches fire at Mumbai airport, 21 injured
May 22, 2010: Air India plane crashes in Mangalore, 158 killed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read