Air India begins non-stop flights from Canada
Toronto: With the introduction of its daily, non-stop Toronto-Delhi flight from October 31, Air India now flies non-stop to India from all its destinations in North America.
While India`s national carrier introduced non-stop flights from three US destinations - Newark, New York and Chicago - last year, Toronto was put on the non-stop route on Sunday. The 14-hour, non-stop flight will depart from Toronto`s Pearson International Airport at 11.50 am and arrive at Delhi`s Indira Gandhi International Airport at 11.45 am the next day.
Previously, four Toronto-Amritsar flights and three Toronto-Delhi flights used to stop over in London for over two hours.
"With Air India introducing the phenomenal Boeing 777-300ER planes and making New Delhi as its international hub, introduction of non-stop flights from Canada is part of new policies,`` an Air Indian representative in Toronto said on Monday.
From Delhi`s new terminal, which will serve as Air India`s new hub, passengers from Canada will have connecting flights to major Indian cities, including Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Kolkata.
"Whereas previously passengers from Canada had connections to only two Indian cities (Delhi and Amritsar), now they will have connections to many major cities in the country. Their baggage will be checked in Toronto and quickly shifted to connecting flights in Delhi so that they reach their onward destination quickly,`` the representative said.
Air India expects a jump in its traffic from Canada because of the convenient departure and arrival time of its non-stop flights.
The introduction of daily non-flights to India is another milestone for the national carrier which resumed its Canadian operations in 2005 after a break of two decades.
Air India had suspended its flights to Canada in June 1985 after the bombing of the Kanishka flight 182 from Montreal to Delhi.
The bombing, which was plotted by Khalistani militants who wanted to avenge the Indian Army action at the Golden Temple to flush out Bhindranwale and his men, killed all 329 passengers on board.
Jet Airways is another Indian carrier which operates Toronto-Delhi flights via its European hub at Brussels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31