Air India evacuates 2,200 Indians from Libya
New Delhi: Air India on Wednesday said it has brought back 2,200 Indians from Tripoli, the capital of strife-torn Libya, since it began evacuation operations on February 26.
"Air India has successfully operated special flights so far to evacuate stranded Indians from Libya. These special `ferry` flights to Tripoli brought back around 2,200 passengers to Delhi," said an Air India spokesperson.
According to him, the flag-carrier has operated around six special flights so far, while three flights were sent to Tripoli early Wednesday and are expected to return to Delhi later in the night.
The national carrier has always lived up to expectations and fulfilled its obligation to the country in times of an emergency situation like the Gulf-war evacuation, Bhuj earthquake, the tsunami and the recent 2010 flash floods in Leh, he stressed.
Air India is currently carrying out the evacuation by two aircraft - an Airbus A-330 and a Boeing 747 - which operate from Terminal 2 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
Meanwhile, private airline Jet Airways will operate its first flight to Tripoli later on Wednesday.
"We would be able to fly to Tripoli by midnight (Wednesday) from Delhi after all the clearances and (if the) passenger list is sorted out," a senior airline official said.
According to him, the company will operate a Boeing 737-800 aircraft from Delhi to the Libyan capital, with a passenger capacity of about 178.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read