Air India passing through difficult phase: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday acknowledged that national carrier Air India was passing through a "difficult phase" but sought to put the blame for the situation on global recession and high cost of operation.
"Air India is passing through a difficult phase as a
result of global recession and high cost of operation. Equity
support has been injected in 2010 and 2011. Turn-around plan
of Air India is being closely monitored," Singh said in the
report- "Government of the UPA: Report to the people"- on
completion of two years of UPA-II.
He also praised public sector helicopter service Pawan
Hans, which has been in the news for the wrong reasons due to
a spate of crashes recently.
"Pawan Hans has introduced sea plane operations in
Andaman and Nicobar Islands as a pilot project to connect Port
Blair and Havelock and other islands in North Andaman," Singh
He lauded some of the achievements of his government in
the field of civil aviation like completion of Phase-I work of
Indira Gandhi International Airport and Terminal 3 becoming
operational in July 2010.
The IGI airport, which can handle 34 million passengers
per annum, was adjudged the fourth best in the world.
Two mega projects are being undertaken at Chennai and
Kolkata airports for their modernisation and development.
Singh said India participated in the Assembly Session
of the International Civil Aviation Organisation held in 2010
in which it was re-elected to the Council of ICAO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA