Air India passing through difficult phase: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday acknowledged that national carrier Air India was passing through a "difficult phase" but sought to put the blame for the situation on global recession and high cost of operation.
"Air India is passing through a difficult phase as a
result of global recession and high cost of operation. Equity
support has been injected in 2010 and 2011. Turn-around plan
of Air India is being closely monitored," Singh said in the
report- "Government of the UPA: Report to the people"- on
completion of two years of UPA-II.
He also praised public sector helicopter service Pawan
Hans, which has been in the news for the wrong reasons due to
a spate of crashes recently.
"Pawan Hans has introduced sea plane operations in
Andaman and Nicobar Islands as a pilot project to connect Port
Blair and Havelock and other islands in North Andaman," Singh
He lauded some of the achievements of his government in
the field of civil aviation like completion of Phase-I work of
Indira Gandhi International Airport and Terminal 3 becoming
operational in July 2010.
The IGI airport, which can handle 34 million passengers
per annum, was adjudged the fourth best in the world.
Two mega projects are being undertaken at Chennai and
Kolkata airports for their modernisation and development.
Singh said India participated in the Assembly Session
of the International Civil Aviation Organisation held in 2010
in which it was re-elected to the Council of ICAO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues