Air India passing through difficult phase: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday acknowledged that national carrier Air India was passing through a "difficult phase" but sought to put the blame for the situation on global recession and high cost of operation.
"Air India is passing through a difficult phase as a
result of global recession and high cost of operation. Equity
support has been injected in 2010 and 2011. Turn-around plan
of Air India is being closely monitored," Singh said in the
report- "Government of the UPA: Report to the people"- on
completion of two years of UPA-II.
He also praised public sector helicopter service Pawan
Hans, which has been in the news for the wrong reasons due to
a spate of crashes recently.
"Pawan Hans has introduced sea plane operations in
Andaman and Nicobar Islands as a pilot project to connect Port
Blair and Havelock and other islands in North Andaman," Singh
He lauded some of the achievements of his government in
the field of civil aviation like completion of Phase-I work of
Indira Gandhi International Airport and Terminal 3 becoming
operational in July 2010.
The IGI airport, which can handle 34 million passengers
per annum, was adjudged the fourth best in the world.
Two mega projects are being undertaken at Chennai and
Kolkata airports for their modernisation and development.
Singh said India participated in the Assembly Session
of the International Civil Aviation Organisation held in 2010
in which it was re-elected to the Council of ICAO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption