Air India plane diverted to Tashkent due to medical emergency
New Delhi: An Air India plane to New York from here with 253 people onboard was diverted to Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan, due to a medical emergency.
The national carrier`s non-stop flight AI-101 took off at its scheduled time from Delhi airport at 1.30 am with 241 passengers and 12 crew members.
But as the Boeing 777 aircraft was flying over the Central Asian nation, flight attendants informed the captain about a medical emergency, an airline official said here, without giving details details of the passenger involved.
As the plane was in Uzbekistan airspace, the pilots informed the air traffic control tower at the Tashkent International Airport and sought permission to land, explaining about the medical emergency.
After the ATC granted permission, the plane landed at around 5.30 am IST safely at the Tashkent International airport.
The person, whose details and nature of medical emergency was not immediately known, was rushed to the hospital there, an Air India spokesperson said, adding that "Air India has asked for help from the Indian Embassy there as we don`t have an office in that country".
Passengers were being taken care of and efforts are on to provide necessary facilities to the passengers at Tashkent, he added.
The spokesperson also said that due to the diversion, the return flight from New York to Delhi (AI-102), which was to be operated with the same aircraft, has been delayed and its time of departure would be informed later.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- One dead, three injured in building collapse in old Delhi
- Prince 'diagnosed with AIDS' months before his death?
- Seer Trikal Bhavanta, who threatened to take 'samadhi' during Simhastha Kumbh, arrested
- VIDEO: That's huge! Watch 11 biggest sixes in Indian Premier League history ever
- Uttarakhand political crisis: BJP offered Rs 50 crore, party tickets and RS seats to Congress MLAs?