Air India plane stuck on Mumbai runway, ops hit
Mumbai: In yet another near-disaster, an Air India aircraft arriving here from London got stuck off the runway shortly before Friday midnight, airport officials said Saturday.
Shortly after vacating the main runway, the flight, AI-130 got stuck while taxiing to the bay, affecting movement of other aircraft in the vicinity.
The captain of the plane reported smoke emanating from the landing gear of the aircraft and failure in the landing apparatus.
The airport emergency services were immediately pressed into service and they sprayed foam on the right-side landing gear.
During the operation, the taxiway was blocked for over 55 minutes, which was finally cleared around 12.15 am Saturday, the officials said.
During the intervening period, the Mumbai Air Traffic Control changed the runway operations to facilitate the emergency operations on the AI aircraft.
On account of the emergency, seven incoming flights were diverted, six to Ahmedabad and one to Hyderabad, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Wimbledon 2016: Novak Djokovic begins title defence with a solid victory
- Shiva Thapa, Manoj Kumar can win gold at Rio Olympics: Vikas Krishan
- Rajinikanth doing well, in US for medical test: Brother
- Pakistan admits stalling India's NSG bid; says will not back down from 'principled stand' on Kashmir
- Euro 2016: Italy vs Spain - As it happened...