Air India plane stuck on Mumbai runway, ops hit
Mumbai: In yet another near-disaster, an Air India aircraft arriving here from London got stuck off the runway shortly before Friday midnight, airport officials said Saturday.
Shortly after vacating the main runway, the flight, AI-130 got stuck while taxiing to the bay, affecting movement of other aircraft in the vicinity.
The captain of the plane reported smoke emanating from the landing gear of the aircraft and failure in the landing apparatus.
The airport emergency services were immediately pressed into service and they sprayed foam on the right-side landing gear.
During the operation, the taxiway was blocked for over 55 minutes, which was finally cleared around 12.15 am Saturday, the officials said.
During the intervening period, the Mumbai Air Traffic Control changed the runway operations to facilitate the emergency operations on the AI aircraft.
On account of the emergency, seven incoming flights were diverted, six to Ahmedabad and one to Hyderabad, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Check Mahresults.nic.in for HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board, MSBSHSE class 12th XII Exam Results 2016
- In this temple, people worship a Royal Enfield Bullet – Here’s why
- Here comes a smarter search engine than Google!
- Wanted to make 'Sultan' only with Salman: Ali Abbas Zafar
- Watch: Behind-the-scenes 'Trip' of 'Udta Punjab' will make you more impatient for its release