Air India plane to Kabul diverted back to New Delhi
New Delhi: An Air India plane to Kabul was on Saturday diverted back to Delhi after Afghanistan`s main airport was closed because of possible dangers to aircraft in the wake of a Taliban attack on the country`s Election Commission headquarters nearby.
The Air India plane was diverted along with other planes of other carriers as the Kabul airport was closed, an Air India official told.
If the situation normalises and the airport reopens, Air India plans to send a bigger plane accommodating today`s passengers on tomorrow`s flight, the official said.
Taliban insurgents attacked the Afghan Election Commission`s heavily-fortified headquarters in Kabul today, ahead of voting in Afghanistan next month.
Authorities tried to reopen the runway of the Kabul airport after two hours but decided the risk was too high and closed it again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling