Air India plane to Kabul diverted back to New Delhi
New Delhi: An Air India plane to Kabul was on Saturday diverted back to Delhi after Afghanistan`s main airport was closed because of possible dangers to aircraft in the wake of a Taliban attack on the country`s Election Commission headquarters nearby.
The Air India plane was diverted along with other planes of other carriers as the Kabul airport was closed, an Air India official told.
If the situation normalises and the airport reopens, Air India plans to send a bigger plane accommodating today`s passengers on tomorrow`s flight, the official said.
Taliban insurgents attacked the Afghan Election Commission`s heavily-fortified headquarters in Kabul today, ahead of voting in Afghanistan next month.
Authorities tried to reopen the runway of the Kabul airport after two hours but decided the risk was too high and closed it again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad