Airline serves chicken to vegn Hindu woman
Melbourne: Singapore Airlines has been
accused of serving chicken to a vegetarian Hindu woman who was
travelling from New Zealand to India.
According to New Zealand media reports today, 56-year-old
Pushplata Sharma claimed of falling sick after she was served
chicken on a flight to India.
Sharma of Blenheim, New Zealand, has been a vegetarian
throughout her life as part of her religion and never ate meat
A Singapore Airlines spokesman said the airline was
concerned that Sharma was served the wrong food, but the
booking made by the travel agent did not ask for a special
It was said that Sharma booked her tickets through a
travel agent and requested an Indian vegetarian meal. However,
after a mix-up between the agent and the airline, the request
was forgotten that led to serving of the wrong meal to her.
Sharma further mentioned that when she was given the
meal, she thought the chicken was cheese. She realised the
mistake only after she had eaten some and was immediately
A crew member who could understand her language
apologised and brought her rice, chickpeas and bread, but she
did not eat anything more on the flight or on the return
journey, she said.
She felt sick whenever she thought of the meal, and had
gone to a doctor for treatment for depression, she said.
"We don`t eat any non-vegetarian food. We give the food
to God first, then we eat it. I gave meat to the god," she
According to her son-in-law Ajay Gaur, the incident was
horrible for his mother-in-law and a blip in more than half a
century of perfect adherence to the Hindu faith.
Singapore Airlines New Zealand passenger services manager
Murray Wild said the company catered for many different
dietary requirements and took the incident seriously.
"We are concerned to learn of this incident, and we
regret any distress this may have caused," he said.
"We are heartened that our cabin crew were able to
recover the situation and offer the preferred meal. We also
subsequently updated the booking to ensure the necessary
dietary requests were made for the rest of the journey.
"The airline would be looking at how the incident
happened, along with the travel agent, and would keep Sharma
informed, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks