Airlines will compensate delays, cancellations
New Delhi: Airlines will soon have to
compensate passengers for delaying/cancelling flights or
denying them boarding passes, Civil Aviation Minister Praful
Patel said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.
In what is seen as a move to protect the interests of
passengers, the minister said that the Director General of
Civil Aviation (DGCA) is in the process of finalising a Civil
Aviation Rule (CAR), and the comments received on the draft
CAR are being compiled.
"After the enforcement of CAR, airlines will be required
to pay compensation and/or provide facilities to the
passengers in case of denied boarding, cancellations and
delays of flights," Patel said.
The Civil Aviation Minister also said that 11 airports
in the country have been marked as `critical airports from the
flight operations` point of view`. He was replying to another
question, asked in the wake of the May 22 Mangalore air crash.
"The inspection of these airports is being carried by a
team of officials from DGCA, and reports are being forwarded
to the respective aerodrome operators," he said.
Patel said that the Mangalore airport had a valid license
on May 22, when the Air India Express flight crashed there.
"The aerodrome was issued with a license in December
2009, which was valid on the date of the accident," he said.
The "DGCA has issued licenses to 14 airports for
scheduled flight operations, of which five are operated by
Airports Authority of India (AAI) and nine by others," he
Replying to a separate question, Patel said that 29
incidents of tyre burst were reported to the DGCA in the last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM