Airport security personnel to undergo special training
New Delhi: With the emergence of new kinds of threats to aviation security, all personnel involved in ensuring safety of aircraft and airports across the country will undergo special training from next month.
The Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) would impart training in batches on improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and bomb threat contingency plan to security personnel deployed by airport operators, airlines, air traffic controllers and forces like the CISF, official sources said here.
As those planning attacks are adopting innovative methods to carry out strikes, the security procedures will have to be adjusted accordingly, the sources said.
The screening of shoes was introduced only after British-born Richard Reid attempted to blow up a plane in December 2001 carrying plastic explosives packed in his shoes.
Likewise, when explosives were found concealed in linings of the underwear of a terror suspect, it prompted the introduction of full-body scanners.
The Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad of the BCAS would be holding day-long courses for the personnel on a rotational basis in two or three phases at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai, they said.
The refresher courses would start from March three and go on till December in different phases covering all sections of concerned security staffers.
The course on IEDs will include topics ranging from recognition of these explosives to how to handle a threat as well as the capabilities of dog squads to spotting of IEDs in
On bomb threats, the personnel would be taught to work on a contingency plan, the broad contours of which have already been outlined.
The training programme would include lessons on the role of bomb threat assessment committee and the procedures to search an area in response to such a threat.
The sources also spoke of the need to have security plans for small airports or air strips strewn across the country.
In this context, they pointed towards the latest case of February 18 when one Joseph Stack flew his single-engine aircraft into a seven-storey office building of the Internal
Revenue Service in Austin, US.
Smaller airports everywhere have little or no staffing at all, and pilots and visitors can come and go as they please, they pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM