AIUDF announces candidate for RS seat in Assam
Guwahati: The Opposition All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) on Saturday announced that party general secretary Aminul Islam would be its candidate for the second seat in the forthcoming Rajya Sabha polls in Assam on May 30.
AIUDF president Badaruddin Ajmal told reporters that as partners of the UPA coalition at the Centre, they respect Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who is contesting the first seat and want him to win unopposed.
Ajmal further said the party was "supporting the Prime Minister not because he is a Congress candidate but because he is the Prime Minister of the country."
Asked whether they would seek support from BJP, Ajmal said that AIUDF has ideological differences with the party.
AIUDF is the largest Opposition party in the Assam Assembly with 18 seats.
Elections will be held to fill up the vacancies which have arisen due to the expiry of the term of office of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is Rajya Sabha member from Assam and AGP MP Kumar Deepak Das on June 14 next.
The Prime Minister filed his nomination paper on May 15 in the Assam Assembly.
Polling, if necessary, would be held on May 30 and the last date of filing nominations was May 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption