Ajit Jogi files defamation case against MP BJP chief
Raipur: Congress leader Ajit Jogi has filed a defamation case against Madhya Pradesh BJP unit president Narendra Singh Tomar for his remark that Jogi was apparently involved in the conspiracy to attack Congress leaders in Bastar.
"Jogi has moved a complaint to the court of judicial magistrate first class Manish Kumar Dubey under section 500 of Indian Penal Code, which reads punishment for defamation, and provisions of Information Technology Amendment Act 2008 against Tomar," Jogi`s counsel S K Farhan said today.
"The statement of Jogi was recorded yesterday and the court has posted the case for next hearing on July 1 for recording statements of other witnesses," Farhan added.
During his party`s programme at Gwalior last month, Madhya Pradesh BJP unit president Narendra Singh Tomar had reportedly said that Congress leader Ajit Jogi was "apparently" part of the "conspiracy" regarding the naxal attack on the Congress` convoy that killed 28 people on May 25.
Those killed in the Naxal ambush included Chhattisgarh Congress chief Nandkumar Patel, senior leader Mahendra Karma and former legislator Uday Mudaliyar while senior Congress leader V C Shukla was critically injured.
Earlier, Jogi, who was the first Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, had shot a legal notice to Tomar seeking an apology for his defamatory remarks.
"Reply from Tomar was not satisfactory, so Jogi moved the court," Farhan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened