Ajit Singh set to join Union Cabinet
New Delhi: RLD chief Ajit Singh will be
inducted as a Union Cabinet Minister on Sunday in a minor
expansion of the Council of Ministers by Prime Minister
The swearing-in ceremony will take place at 11.30 AM on
December 18, a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson said Friday night.
The 72-year-old Jat leader from western Uttar Pradesh is
being inducted a week after his party formally joined the UPA,
the first political outfit to do so since the alliance came to
power for the second time in May 2009.
Ajit Singh, whose RLD has five members in the Lok Sabha,
had a meeting with the Prime Minister on Monday.
With RLD joining the ruling coalition, UPA`s strength
in the Lok Sabha has gone up from 272 to 277.
It was not immediately clear whether any one else would
be joining along with Ajit Singh, who would become the 33rd
minister in the Union Cabinet and 77th in the council of
There was talk sometime back that Telugu superstar
Chiranjeevi, who merged his Prajya Rajyam Party with the
Congress earlier this year, may be made a union minister. But
there was no word on whether he would be part of the expansion
being undertaken in the midst of the Winter Session of
The merger of Praja Rajyam Party had helped the Congress
to shake off the opposition challenge in the Andhra Pradesh
assembly in the form of a no confidence motion recently.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed