Ajit Singh set to join Union Cabinet
New Delhi: RLD chief Ajit Singh will be
inducted as a Union Cabinet Minister on Sunday in a minor
expansion of the Council of Ministers by Prime Minister
The swearing-in ceremony will take place at 11.30 AM on
December 18, a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson said Friday night.
The 72-year-old Jat leader from western Uttar Pradesh is
being inducted a week after his party formally joined the UPA,
the first political outfit to do so since the alliance came to
power for the second time in May 2009.
Ajit Singh, whose RLD has five members in the Lok Sabha,
had a meeting with the Prime Minister on Monday.
With RLD joining the ruling coalition, UPA`s strength
in the Lok Sabha has gone up from 272 to 277.
It was not immediately clear whether any one else would
be joining along with Ajit Singh, who would become the 33rd
minister in the Union Cabinet and 77th in the council of
There was talk sometime back that Telugu superstar
Chiranjeevi, who merged his Prajya Rajyam Party with the
Congress earlier this year, may be made a union minister. But
there was no word on whether he would be part of the expansion
being undertaken in the midst of the Winter Session of
The merger of Praja Rajyam Party had helped the Congress
to shake off the opposition challenge in the Andhra Pradesh
assembly in the form of a no confidence motion recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India