Ajit Singh set to join Union Cabinet
New Delhi: RLD chief Ajit Singh will be
inducted as a Union Cabinet Minister on Sunday in a minor
expansion of the Council of Ministers by Prime Minister
The swearing-in ceremony will take place at 11.30 AM on
December 18, a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson said Friday night.
The 72-year-old Jat leader from western Uttar Pradesh is
being inducted a week after his party formally joined the UPA,
the first political outfit to do so since the alliance came to
power for the second time in May 2009.
Ajit Singh, whose RLD has five members in the Lok Sabha,
had a meeting with the Prime Minister on Monday.
With RLD joining the ruling coalition, UPA`s strength
in the Lok Sabha has gone up from 272 to 277.
It was not immediately clear whether any one else would
be joining along with Ajit Singh, who would become the 33rd
minister in the Union Cabinet and 77th in the council of
There was talk sometime back that Telugu superstar
Chiranjeevi, who merged his Prajya Rajyam Party with the
Congress earlier this year, may be made a union minister. But
there was no word on whether he would be part of the expansion
being undertaken in the midst of the Winter Session of
The merger of Praja Rajyam Party had helped the Congress
to shake off the opposition challenge in the Andhra Pradesh
assembly in the form of a no confidence motion recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’