Ajmal Kasab should have been hanged publicly: Anna
New Delhi: While the sudden execution of 26/11 attack case convict Ajmal Amir Kasab on Wednesday morning has surprised many, noted anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare feels that the Pakistani terrorist should have been hanged in public.
Speaking to reporters, the noted social worker said, “A public hanging of Ajmal Kasab would have been a lesson for anybody who causes loss of life in our country.”
The noted Gandhian, however, regretted that Kasab’s execution should have been carried out much earlier.
“It’s taken too long to hang Kasab. He should have been hanged in public,” he said.
The reaction from the Gandhian leader came minutes after the Mumbai terror attacker was hanged till death at Pune’s Yervada Jail at 7.30 this morning in a highly secretive manner.
Kasab was hanged after President Pranab Mukherjee rejected his mercy petition.
The petition was rejected on November 5 after which the Lashkar-e-Toiba operative was shifted from Mumbai`s Arthur Road Jail to Pune`s Yerwada Jail.
President Mukherjee’s rejection came two months after the Union Home Ministry rejected Kasab`s mercy petition.
Kasab and nine other LeT terrorists had sailed into Mumbai on November 26, 2008 from Karachi and killed 166 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi