Ajmal Kasab should have been hanged publicly: Anna
New Delhi: While the sudden execution of 26/11 attack case convict Ajmal Amir Kasab on Wednesday morning has surprised many, noted anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare feels that the Pakistani terrorist should have been hanged in public.
Speaking to reporters, the noted social worker said, “A public hanging of Ajmal Kasab would have been a lesson for anybody who causes loss of life in our country.”
The noted Gandhian, however, regretted that Kasab’s execution should have been carried out much earlier.
“It’s taken too long to hang Kasab. He should have been hanged in public,” he said.
The reaction from the Gandhian leader came minutes after the Mumbai terror attacker was hanged till death at Pune’s Yervada Jail at 7.30 this morning in a highly secretive manner.
Kasab was hanged after President Pranab Mukherjee rejected his mercy petition.
The petition was rejected on November 5 after which the Lashkar-e-Toiba operative was shifted from Mumbai`s Arthur Road Jail to Pune`s Yerwada Jail.
President Mukherjee’s rejection came two months after the Union Home Ministry rejected Kasab`s mercy petition.
Kasab and nine other LeT terrorists had sailed into Mumbai on November 26, 2008 from Karachi and killed 166 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 2nd Test, Day 3: England bounce back to level series 1-1 with massive 330-run win over Pakistan
- Lok Sabha passes bill providing for opening of 6 new IITs
- NIA files chargesheet in Bangalore Church Street blast case
- Story of courage! Chennai man risks life to save a woman from being raped
- This SCARY video will give you goosebumps: Ghost follows man into taxi - WATCH