Ajmal Kasab’s execution was codenamed Operation X
Mumbai: The lone captured Mumbai terror attacks gunman Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab was on Wednesday morning executed in a top-secret manner, leaving not just Indians but the entire world surprised.
Reportedly codenamed ‘Operation X’ and led by Special IG (law and order) Devan Bharti, the entire process began on November 5 when the President rejected the mercy plea of Kasab and ended this morning with the terrorist’s execution.
Seventeen senior police officers, including IG Devan Bharti, were involved in the operation. Sources said mobile phones of all officers but Devan Bharti had been switched off since the operation began.
Devan Bharti was entrusted with the responsibility of transferring Kasab to Pune from Mumbai. At 7.40 am this morning, after Kasab was executed, the IG reportedly messaged: “Operation X completed successfully.”
Here is a timeline of important events:
Oct 16, 2012: Union Home Ministry recommends to President for rejection of Kasab`s mercy plea.
Nov 5: President rejects Kasab`s mercy petition.
Nov 7: Home Minister signs on papers recommending Kasab’s execution to the Maharashtra government.
Nov 8: Maharashtra government informed about President`s decision by the Home Ministry.
Nov 8: Maharashtra government sets November 21 as the date for Kasab’s execution.
Nov 12: Kasab informed about his hanging. He said this should be communicated to his mother in Pakistan.
Nov 19: Kasab shifted from Mumbai’s Arthur Road Jail, where he was lodged since his arrest, to Pune’s Yerwada Jail.
Nov 21, little before 7.30 am: Kasab says he has no last wish.
7.30 am: Kasab hanged in Yerawada Jail.
9.30 am: Kasab buried inside Yerawada Jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Bad time continues for banks; Kingfisher Airlines brands auction fails again
- Punjab seeks CBI probe in shooting of RSS leader
- French PM Manuel Valls praises economy, says growth target in reach
- Judges must not hesitate to give severest punishment to rapists: Court
- Happy anniversary, Voyager 2: NASA celebrates spacecraft's legacy 35 years on!