Ajmal Kasab’s execution was codenamed Operation X
Mumbai: The lone captured Mumbai terror attacks gunman Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab was on Wednesday morning executed in a top-secret manner, leaving not just Indians but the entire world surprised.
Reportedly codenamed ‘Operation X’ and led by Special IG (law and order) Devan Bharti, the entire process began on November 5 when the President rejected the mercy plea of Kasab and ended this morning with the terrorist’s execution.
Seventeen senior police officers, including IG Devan Bharti, were involved in the operation. Sources said mobile phones of all officers but Devan Bharti had been switched off since the operation began.
Devan Bharti was entrusted with the responsibility of transferring Kasab to Pune from Mumbai. At 7.40 am this morning, after Kasab was executed, the IG reportedly messaged: “Operation X completed successfully.”
Here is a timeline of important events:
Oct 16, 2012: Union Home Ministry recommends to President for rejection of Kasab`s mercy plea.
Nov 5: President rejects Kasab`s mercy petition.
Nov 7: Home Minister signs on papers recommending Kasab’s execution to the Maharashtra government.
Nov 8: Maharashtra government informed about President`s decision by the Home Ministry.
Nov 8: Maharashtra government sets November 21 as the date for Kasab’s execution.
Nov 12: Kasab informed about his hanging. He said this should be communicated to his mother in Pakistan.
Nov 19: Kasab shifted from Mumbai’s Arthur Road Jail, where he was lodged since his arrest, to Pune’s Yerwada Jail.
Nov 21, little before 7.30 am: Kasab says he has no last wish.
7.30 am: Kasab hanged in Yerawada Jail.
9.30 am: Kasab buried inside Yerawada Jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened