Ajmer blast: Aseemanand`s bail plea rejected
Jaipur: A CBI court here on Saturday rejected
the bail application of Swami Aseemanand in the 2007 Ajmer
Dargah blast case.
The court also extended his custody till the next date
of hearing which has been fixed for May 14.
Aseemanand had moved the bail application on the
grounds that he had been kept in custody for more than 90
days and that probe agencies had failed to file a chargesheet
against him. He cited Section 167 (2) of the CrPC which states
that a person cannot be kept in custody for more than 90 days
without filing of a charge sheet.
Opposing the same, the NIA had contented that since
the matter concerns national security, the investigation
cannot be done hastily and as such the bail plea should be
The court, without expressing any opinion on the
merits of the case, dismissed his bail application.
Apart from Ajmer Dargah blast, which claimed three
lives and left 15 others injured, Aseemanand is an accused in
several other blast cases across the county including those at
Hyderabad`s Mecca Masjid, Samjhauta Express and Malegaon.
He was arrested in January this year in the dargah
The CBI court here was recently given charge of the
trial of cases to be prosecuted by the NIA, pursuant to which
Asseemaanand and another accused Bharat Bhai were produced in
The NIA was handed over the investigation in the case
on April 6. Earlier, ATS-Rajasthan was probing the bomb attack
at the dargah of Sufi saint Khawaja Moinuddin Chishti.
The ATS-Raj has already chargsheeted Devendra Gupta,
Lokesh Sharma and Chandrasheker in a Ajmer court. However,
Chandrasheker has been successful in obtaining bail from High
The NIA has also chargesheeted two accused - Harshad
Solanki and Mukesh Vasani- in the blast case before the CBI
court here last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!