AK Antony not to contest Lok Sabha polls
Thiruvananthapuram: Congress on Sunday scotched speculation that senior leader and Defence Minister AK Antony might contest from a Lok Sabha seat in Kerala.
"Antony himself has asked me to make it clear to the media that he would not be contesting the Lok Sabha polls. He wants this to be conveyed to you since speculation is rife in a section of media that he might enter the fray this time," Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee (KPCC) president VM Sudheeran said.
He was briefing mediapersons after a meeting of the party`s state election committee here.
Antony is now a member of the Rajya Sabha.
Sudheeran said the list of party candidates for the Lok Sabha polls would be finalised next week and get the endorsement of central election committee by March 13.
He wanted party functionaries and the media to refrain from speculating on the matter till the list is finalised.
Sudheeran also said AICC had directed the state unit to take stringent action against leaders and office-bearers making open statements detrimental to the interests of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown