AK Antony on two-day visit to Myanmar
New Delhi: Strengthening mechanisms for joint border patrolling between India and Myanmar to curb activities of insurgent groups will be high on the agenda of Defence Minister AK Antony who began his two-day visit to the neighbouring country on Monday.
"During the visit, both sides will discuss modalities for improving mechanisms for patrolling by own forces along land and maritime boundaries in order to curb activities of insurgent groups and other illegal and criminal activities in these areas," a Defence Ministry said in a statement.
Both sides agree that neither should allow their territory to be used for activities detrimental to the security of the other and periodic coordinated land and maritime patrols should be conducted, it said.
Antony will also be discussing issues relating to border management, armed forces interactions and other defence and security matters of interest to both countries, it said.
The two countries share over 1,600 km long boundary and are also working on a MoU on border management and coordination, Ministry officials said.
India may also agree on imparting training to the Myanmarese Air Force personnel on their Russian Mi-35 attack choppers, which are operated by the IAF also, they said.
In the recent past, India has been increasing its engagement with Myanmar, which has very good relations with China.
India is also expected to agree to increase the intake of Myanmarese armed forces personnel in its military academies and other training institutions.
During the visit, Antony will call on the President of Myanmar and have consultations with the Myanmar Defence Minister and the C-in-C of the Myanmar Defence Forces.
He is travelling with a high-level delegation comprising Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma, Joint Secretary (International Cooperation) Smita Nagaraj, Eastern Army Commander Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag and Navy Vice Chief Robin Dhowan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another