AK Antony seeks report from Navy on submarine incident
New Delhi: Six months after its submarine sunk in the Mumbai harbour, another Navy underwater vessel had a close shave near the same place last week, prompting Defence Minister AK Antony to seek a detailed report from the service on the incident.
"I have sought a report from the Navy. They have sent initial report and they will send a detailed report later. There was some unexpected tidal change," he said.
The minister indicated that the submarine has not suffered any major damage.
The Minister was asked to comment on the alleged incident where Navy`s INS Sindhughosh submarine was allegedly grounded due to lack of water in the harbour area in Mumbai.
Navy officials denied reports that the vessel had to be salvaged, saying the submarine was not grounded and "no Board of inquiry has been ordered" into the incident by the force.
Last week on Friday, the submarine had encountered a situation where there was very less water in the harbour but held to its position using ropes and other means but was not grounded, they said.
In August last year, Navy lost its latest submarine INS Sindhurakshak after an explosion in its torpedo section killing all the 18 personnel on board.
Meanwhile, Antony was all praise for the NCC cadets including those from the Jammu and Kashmir directorate who presented a dance item on the Lata Mangeshkar`s heart-warming and emotional song `Aey mere watan ke logon` depicting the sacrifices of Indian soldiers in the war with China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'