AK Antony seeks report from Navy on submarine incident
New Delhi: Six months after its submarine sunk in the Mumbai harbour, another Navy underwater vessel had a close shave near the same place last week, prompting Defence Minister AK Antony to seek a detailed report from the service on the incident.
"I have sought a report from the Navy. They have sent initial report and they will send a detailed report later. There was some unexpected tidal change," he said.
The minister indicated that the submarine has not suffered any major damage.
The Minister was asked to comment on the alleged incident where Navy`s INS Sindhughosh submarine was allegedly grounded due to lack of water in the harbour area in Mumbai.
Navy officials denied reports that the vessel had to be salvaged, saying the submarine was not grounded and "no Board of inquiry has been ordered" into the incident by the force.
Last week on Friday, the submarine had encountered a situation where there was very less water in the harbour but held to its position using ropes and other means but was not grounded, they said.
In August last year, Navy lost its latest submarine INS Sindhurakshak after an explosion in its torpedo section killing all the 18 personnel on board.
Meanwhile, Antony was all praise for the NCC cadets including those from the Jammu and Kashmir directorate who presented a dance item on the Lata Mangeshkar`s heart-warming and emotional song `Aey mere watan ke logon` depicting the sacrifices of Indian soldiers in the war with China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city