AK Antony`s Number 2 slot reinforced
New Delhi: Reinforcing AK Antony`s virtual no 2 slot in UPA II government`s pecking order, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is understood to have issued a communication that the Defence Minister will chair union cabinet meetings, if required, during his visit to Iran.
Singh, who left for Tehran this evening to attend the NAM Summit, is learnt to have issued the communication before his departure.
After the exit of Pranab Mukherjee from the Council of Ministers, Antony seemed to have got the number two position in the government.
An indication to this effect had come when Antony was allocated the seat next to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the first time at a July 12 cabinet meeting here.
Antony was allocated the seat to the right of the Prime Minister, where Mukherjee used to sit.
The seat next to the Prime Minister on the left side is occupied by Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth as usual.
Earlier, Mukherjee, who resigned as Finance Minister on June 26 to contest the Presidential poll, was the de facto number two in the government. He would stay in Delhi whenever the Prime Minister had to go abroad on official visits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials