AK Antony`s Number 2 slot reinforced
New Delhi: Reinforcing AK Antony`s virtual no 2 slot in UPA II government`s pecking order, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is understood to have issued a communication that the Defence Minister will chair union cabinet meetings, if required, during his visit to Iran.
Singh, who left for Tehran this evening to attend the NAM Summit, is learnt to have issued the communication before his departure.
After the exit of Pranab Mukherjee from the Council of Ministers, Antony seemed to have got the number two position in the government.
An indication to this effect had come when Antony was allocated the seat next to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the first time at a July 12 cabinet meeting here.
Antony was allocated the seat to the right of the Prime Minister, where Mukherjee used to sit.
The seat next to the Prime Minister on the left side is occupied by Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth as usual.
Earlier, Mukherjee, who resigned as Finance Minister on June 26 to contest the Presidential poll, was the de facto number two in the government. He would stay in Delhi whenever the Prime Minister had to go abroad on official visits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!